While attending Middle Tennessee State University, I spent a year working
for the student newspaper Sidelines. My time at Sidelines was
a supplement to my chosen major/minor combination, Recording Industry and
Journalism. Ms. Fern Greenbank, the advisor, suggested I join and contribute
to the new weekly entertainment insert. I provided several articles to
Sidelines and the insert Exposure before transistioning to Exposure
I am providing links below to each of my articles, prefaced with the headline and
a short blurb. For now, the links will take you to the article as it is hosted on
the current Sidelines website.
The Features to be featured at Tucker Theater
- Jan 19, 2006 Interview with Matt Pelham, leader of The Features, to promote upcoming show at Tucker Theater (MTSU).
Juan Prophet Organization
- Feb 16, 2006 Interview with Kris White and Jeff Holt of JPO, providing a bit of information into the band’s sound and history.
MTTV Channel 10 brings you ‘MTSU’S Next Top Model’
- Mar 16, 2006 Brief article describing the campus show, ‘MTSU’s Next Top Model.’
Wee the People, acoustic show at Liquid Smoke
- Mar 23, 2006 Nashville trio Wee the People promoting their show at Murfreesboro’s premiere cigar bar, Liquid Smoke.
Stone River’s “Hidden Treasure:” DVD Plus
- Apr 6, 2006 Ferrell Smith, owner/operator of DVD Plus, explains how he came into the DVD rental business, his history and his upcoming book.
Student featured in variety show
- June 13, 2006 Feature article focused on Kaylin Davis and her involvement with the Murfreesboro/Rutherford County center for the Arts.
Police find open bottle of alcohol in professor’s car; charges pending
- Sept 7, 2006 Breaking news article co-written with news editor Andy Harper; city property damage and erratic driving brought attention to the professor.
MT professor faces multiple charges
- Sept 11, 2006 Follow-up article reporting the consequences of MTSU professor’s actions while driving.
New Exposure, New Town
- Sept 14, 2006 Premiere “Editor’s Notes” column, welcoming readers to the re-vamped Exposure and glossing over the local happenings during the summer months.
Bang Bang Bang
- Sept 14, 2006 Local band signs with Warner Brother Records; includes interview with drummer Neil Mason [band is now known as American Bang].
All apologies and the iPod Nano
- Sept 21, 2006 “Editor’s Notes” column
Hay and screams and blood, oh my!
- Sept 28, 2006 Short and sweet notation in my weekly “Editor’s Notes” column
Storm the castle and rock the Palace
- Oct 5, 2006 Again, my weekly column; this time I tout Beck’s customizable album cover, Highland Games and Grand Palace’s 1-year anniversary.
It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
- Oct 19, 2006 Pumping readers up for Halloween with locations to obtain costumes in the “Editor’s Notes” column
Go Bump in the Night
- Oct 25, 2006 Quck note dashed off concerning Halloween events, horror fests and a peek at the next week’s offerings
Working hard for the money
- Nov 2, 2006 Deviated away from the usual entertainment notations, I express my distaste over the treatment of a Nashville mother in reference to a Nashville Scene arcticle.
It’s not you, it’s me
- Nov 9, 2006 My thoughts on the super-early push of the Christmas season, top concerts for November and a chili festival.
Now it’s time to say good-bye
- Nov 30, 2006 A final look at the semester and wishing all students good-bye and good luck in my last column.